Dr. rer. nat. Zhiyong Xie
His research interests focus on biogeochemistry processes of legacy and emerging organic contaminants in the global ocean, including long-range transport via atmosphere and ocean currents, air-sea/ice exchange, and bioaccumulation in marine food web. He has carried out pioneering research for emerging organic contaminants in global ocean, especially in the Arctic and Antarctic. With novel sampling and modern instrumental strategies, he develops effective analytical methods for discovering new chemicals with emerging concern in polar regions. He use model simulations to elucidate the biogeochemical cycle of the legacy and emerging organic contaminants in polar regions driven by changing climate and enhanced human activities.
- Biogeochemical cycle of emerging and legacy organic contaminates in the global ocean
- Long-range atmospheric/oceanic transport from the continents to the polar region
- Impact of changing climate on reemission of the POPs in the Arctic and Antarctic
- Air-sea/snow exchange
- Bioaccumulation of emerging organic contaminants in Arctic species
- Model predictions for health perspectives of emerging organic contaminants in the Arctic ecosystem
- 2011 - Present Senior scientist (permanent position). Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon, Institute of Coastal Environmental Chemistry, Geesthacht, Germany
- 2007 - 2011 Postdoctoral Research Scientist. Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon, Centre for Materials and Coastal Research GmbH, Institute of Coastal Research, Germany
- 2006 Post doctoral researcher, Institute of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences, Department of Analytical Environmental Chemistry, Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- 2000 - 2002 Research assistant. Institute of Spectrochemistry and Applied Spectroscopy at University Dortmund (ISAS-Dortmund), Germany
- 2002 - 2005 Ph.D. Environmental Science, Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon, Centre for Materials and Coastal Research GmbH, Institute of Coastal Research, Germany
- 2002 - 2005 Ph.D. Environmental Science, Leuphana University Lüneburg, Germany
- 1997 - 2000 M.S. Analytical Chemistry, Zhongshan University, China
- 1989 - 1993 B.S. Analytical Chemistry, East China University of Science and Technology, China
- 2016 - 2017 Guest professor, Shanghai Ocean University, Dalian, China
- 2018 - 2019 Guest professor, Dalian Marinetime University, Dalian, China
2021 - 2027 Long-range environmental transport and biogeochemical cycling of legacy and emerging organic contaminants
Research vessel 'Polarstern' (Photo: Z. Xie, Hereon)
Long-range environmental transport and biogeochemical cycling of legacy and emerging organic contaminants in global ocean and polar regions, impacts of human activities and climate change. Changing Earth - Sustaining our Future, projects relating to programme-oriented funding 2021 - 2027 (PoF IV), Helmholtz Association.
2018 - 2021 EISPAC
Expedition facilities at research vessel 'Polarstern' (Photo: Z. Xie, Hereon)
Effects of ice-associated stressors and pollutants on the Arctic marine cryosphere The overarching aim of EISPAC is to evaluate whether ice-associated contaminants serve as stressors on ice habitat functioning in relation to cryosphere dynamics and in comparison to the behavior of key nutrients. In essence, EISPAC will determine the magnitude and timing of exposure of contaminants to sentinel, ice associated organisms and their effect on the lower marine food web, seeking to examine processes that control pollutant and key nutrient entry, accumulation and transfer within the sea ice system in the Arctic. Project Link
2017 - 2020 iCUPE
Snow sampling in the Arctic (Photo: Z. Xie, Hereon)
Integrative and Comprehensive Understanding of Polar Environments. iCUPE is an ERA-Planet (European Network for observing our changing planet) thematic strand 4 (Polar areas and natural resources) Project.
By combining integrated in-situ and satellite observations with a modelling platform, iCUPE will synthesizes data from comprehensive long-term measurements, intensive campaigns and satellites, collected during the project, or provided by on-going international initiatives; relates the observed parameters to impacts, and delivers novel data products, metrics and indicators to the stakeholders concerning the environmental status, availability and extraction of natural resources in the polar areas. The project improves understanding of the pollution sources and sinks, environmental and anthropogenic changes and elements of the cryosphere in polar areas by conducting high-level and high impact research by analyzing these integrated data together with the modelling frameworks. Project Link
2011 - present ePOPARCTIC
Research expedition in the Arctic (Photo: Z. Xie, Hereon)
Long-term investigation of emerging persistent organic pollutants in the Arctic. This project is one of the long-term research programs established at AWIPEV research base in Ny-Alesund, Svalbard.
Atmospheric long-range transport is a significant route for organic contaminants to reach ecologically sensitive Arctic environment. Organic pollutants are subject to a variety of processes in the Arctic environment such as degradation, bioaccumulation and interaction between the atmosphere, snow, water and soil. Furthermore, climate change may significantly influence the transport and environment fate of organic pollutants in the Arctic. This project is focused on studies of long-term trends and atmospheric transport of emerging persistent organic pollutants in the Arctic. Data and feedback from this project may improve models to predict the environmental progression and assess the effect of climate change on the long-range transport and the fate of the emerging organic contaminants in the Arctic ecosystem.
2017 - 2020 FINGBOYEL
Scientist and research vessel 'Sonne' (Photo: Z. Xie, Hereon)
Anthropogenic fingerprint in Chinese eastern marginal seas: Investigation of pollutant status and dispersal in Bohai and Yellow Sea, BMBF-SOA Research Program.
Expeditions in the Atlantic Ocean and the Arctic (PI for organic contaminants)
PS114 2018-07-10 (Bremerhaven)
2018-08-03 (Tromsø) Investigation of emerging organic contaminants in the North Atlantic and the Arctic
PS85 2014-06-06 (Bremerhaven)
2014-07-03 (Tromsø) Investigation of emerging persistent organic pollutants and carbon nanoparticles in the North Atlantic and the Arctic
PS77 2010-10-25 (Bremerhaven)
2010-11-26 (Cape Town) Investigation of brominated and organophosphorus flame retardants and monitoring of legacy POPs in the Atlantic and the Southern
PS74 2009-08-05 (Reykjavik)
2009-09-25 (Bremerhaven) Investigation of perfluorinated organic compounds and the brominated flame-retardants in the North Atlantic and the Arctic
PS73 2008-10-31 (Bremerhaven)
2008-12-03 (Cape Town) Investigation of polyfluorinated substances in the Atlantic Ocean
- report partHarmonising Environmental Research and Monitoring of Priority Pollutants and Impurities in the Svalbard AtmosphereKoziol, K., Kallenborn, R., Xie, Z., Larose, C., Spolaor, A., Barbaro, E., Kavan, J., Kępski, D., Nikulina, A., Zawierucha, K., Pearce, D., Cockerton, L., Nawrot, A., Pawlak, F., Pakszys, P., Cappelletti, D. (2023)
In: SESS report 2022 : The State of Environmental Science in Svalbard - an annual report, 78-115.
- journal articleOrganophosphate ester pollution in the oceansXie, Z., Wang, P., Wang, X., Castro-Jiménez, J., Kallenborn, R., Liao, C., Mi, W., Lohmann, R., Vila-Costa, M., Dachs, J. (2022)
In: Nature Reviews. Earth & Environment, Vol. 3, 5, 309-322.
- journal articleSource and Distribution of Emerging and Legacy Persistent Organic Pollutants in the Basins of the Eastern Indian OceanCong, B., Li, S., Liu, S., Mi, W., Zhang, C., Xie, Z. (2022)
In: Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 56, 7, 4199-4209.
- reportAct now - Legacy and Emerging Contaminants in Polar Regions : Workshop Report : Online Expert Workshop January 25th -26th 2022Gandraß, J., Küster, A., Ebinghaus, R., Herata, H., Xie, Z., Koschorreck, J. (2022)
- journal articleSeasonal variation and deposition of atmospheric organophosphate esters in the coastal region of Shanghai, ChinaMa, Y., Luo, Y., Zhu, J., Zhang, J., Gao, G., Mi, W., Xie, Z., Lohmann, R. (2022)
In: Environmental Pollution, Vol. 300, 118930.
- journal articleAtmospheric deposition, seasonal variation, and long-range transport of organophosphate esters on Yongxing Island, South China SeaZhang, L., Xu, W., Mi, W., Yan, W., Guo, T., Zhou, F., Miao, L., Xie, Z. (2022)
In: Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 806, 150673.
- journal articleLegacy and emerging organic contaminants in the polar regionsXie, Z., Zhang, P., Wu, Z., Zhang, S., Wei, L., Mi, L., Kuester, A., Gandrass, J., Ebinghaus, R., Yang, R., Wang, Z., Mi, W. (2022)
In: Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 835, 155376.
- journal articleInterprovincial trade driven relocation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and lung cancer risk in ChinaLian, L., Huang, T., Ling, Z., Li, S., Li, J., Jiang, W., Gao, H., Tao, S., Liu, J., Xie, Z., Mao, X., Ma, J. (2021)
In: Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 280, Part 1, 124368.
- journal articleOverall comparison and source identification of PAHs in the sediments of European Baltic and North Seas, Chinese Bohai and Yellow SeasWang, P., Mi, W., Xie, Z., Tang, J., Apel, C., Joerss, H., Ebinghaus, R., Zhang, Q. (2020)
In: Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 737, 139535.
- journal articlePAES and PAHs in the surface sediments of the East China Sea: Occurrence, distribution and influence factorsZhao, X., Jin, H., Ji, Z., Li, D., Kaw, H., Chen, J., Xie, Z., Zhang, T. (2020)
In: Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 703, 134763.
- journal articleOccurrence of legacy and emerging organic contaminants in snow at Dome C in the AntarcticXie, Z., Wang, Z., Magand, O., Thollot, A., Ebinghaus, R., Mi, W., Dommergue, A. (2020)
In: Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 741, 140200.
- journal articleOverview: Integrative and Comprehensive Understanding on Polar Environments (iCUPE) – concept and initial resultsPetäjä, T., Duplissy, E., Tabakova, K., Ebinghaus, R., Xie, Z. (2020)
In: Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Vol. 20, 14, 8551-8592.
- journal articleTransport of Legacy Perfluoroalkyl Substances and the Replacement Compound HFPO-DA through the Atlantic Gateway to the Arctic Ocean—Is the Arctic a Sink or a Source?Joerss, H., Xie, Z., Wagner, C., von Appen, W., Sunderland, E., Ebinghaus, R. (2020)
In: Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 54, 16, 9958-9967.
- journal articlePersulfate-based degradation of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) in aqueous solution: Review on influences, mechanisms and prospectiveYang, L., He, L., Xue, J., Ma, Y., Xie, Z., Wu, L., Huang, M., Zhang, Z. (2020)
In: Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 393, 122405.
- journal articleSpatial and seasonal variations of organic corrosion inhibitors in the Pearl River, South China: Contributions of sewage discharge and urban rainfall runoffHan, X., Xie, Z., Tian, Y., Yan, W., Miao, L., Zhang, L., Zhu, X., Xu, W. (2020)
In: Environmental Pollution, Vol. 262, 114321.
- journal articleHuman exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls embodied in global fish tradeHuang, T., Ling, Z., Ma, J., Macdonald, R., Gao, H., Tao, S., Tian, C., Song, S., Jiang, W., Chen, L., Chen, K., Xie, Z., Zhao, Y., Zhao, L., Gu, C., Mao, X. (2020)
In: Nature Food, Vol. 1, 5, 292-300.
- journal articleBioaccumulation and changes of trace metals over the last two decades in marine organisms from Guangdong coastal regions, South ChinaZhang, L., Yan, W., Xie, Z., Cai, G., Mi, W., Xu, W. (2020)
In: Journal of Environmental Sciences, Vol. 98, 103-108.
- journal articleOccurrence and spatial distribution of phthalate esters in sediments of the Bohai and Yellow seasMi, L., Xie, Z., Zhao, Z., Zhong, M., Mi, W., Ebinghaus, R., Tang, J. (2019)
In: Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 653, 792-800.