Biologische Kohlenstoff PumpeDoktorandin
Tel: +49 (0)4152 87-2230
Fax: +49 (0)4152 87-2366
- 2021 - ongoing PhD student in the Marine Particles and Plankton Group, Helmholtz Zentrum Geesthacht (Germany)
- 2018 - 2020 MSc in Marine Biological Resources, Ghent University (Belgium)
Thesis: “Environmental preferences and spatiotemporal distribution of the main phytoplankton genera present in La Paz Bay”, CIBNOR (Mexico)
- 2013 - 2017 BSc in Biology and Geosciences, University Pierre et Marie Curie (France)
- 2019 Internship about microplastic presence in stomach content of fishes associated with FAD’s, Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Milazzo (Italy)
- 2018 Internship about climate change effects on phytoplankton communities in Southeastern Australia, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), Hobart (Australia)
Since my BSc I have developed a strong interest in phytoplankton, and I was involved in various studies related to the topic. My main interests are the diversity and ecology of phytoplankton, as well as understanding how different environmental factors affect their community structures, spatiotemporal distribution and their influence on the marine foodwebs. I am fascinated by the crucial role these microorganisms play in the marine environment, especially in highly productive coastal ecosystems subject to anthropogenic impact, and their function as climate regulators. Developing our knowledge about phytoplankton means a better understanding of the functioning of our oceans.
My PhD project at the Hereon focuses on assessing the diversity and productivity of phytoplankton and its role in the food web dynamics and coastal carbon cycle using data from ocean color satellites and autonomous FerryBoxes, as well as high resolution in situ imaging of plankton and marine snow.