The marine Geoportal coastMap of the Hereon Institute of Carbon Cycles and Hereon Institute of Coastal Environmental Chemistry provides access to existing geodata and information products of Hereon and its partner institutions. It combines analyses and model data relevant to seafloor conditions and those in the overlying water column and the atmosphere with a focus on the North Sea.
Matters of marine and environmental relevance have stimulated increasing interest by media and the public. Therefore coastMap targets different user groups: experts, professionals of other disciplines and the interested public. On the basis of modern IT functionalities the data and information are readily accessible and mostly free for download.
Research activities of the scientists are the starting point for scientific information channeled into knowledge for the management in the coastal zone and the marine environment. This includes the definition of good environmental status, or to examine management options. Therefore activities were often co-designed with government authorities and institutions, in line with Hereon's mandate and motto: "Wissen schafft Nutzen" ("Science creates benefits").
The following geodata and information products and components are provided to users:
- Freely available data
- Interface for visualisation and extracting data from model data sets
- Scientific information for the interested public
- Ongoing and updated map gallery
- Linking to Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Edited accounts of scientific topics in scientific "Spotlight" format
- Linking of "Spotlight" contents and the coastMap data and visualisation tools
- Interactive map material and figures
coastMap is a part of the Helmholtz Coastal Data Center.