Dr. Nobuhiro Suzuki
Using numerical simulation and theoretical analysis, I conduct research on various aspects of fluid mechanics and oceanography such as:
• wave-current interactions
• Langmuir turbulence induced by non-breaking surface waves
• boundary-layer turbulence
• turbulence generation in stratified flows in the ocean
• oceanic submesoscale dynamics
• energy transfer between turbulence, internal waves, and geostrophic flows
• air-sea interactions
• Impacts of offshore wind farms
• Impacts of turbulent flows on ecosystem
2019 - present Scientist: Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon (Germany)
2017 - 2018 PRESTIGE Fellow and Marie Curie Fellow
2016 - 2019 LabexMER Post-Doctoral Researcher (LabexMER fellowship awardee) at University of Brest (Université de Bretagne Occidentale) Laboratoire d'Océanographie Physique et Spatiale (France)
2013 - 2016 Postdoctoral Research Associate at Brown University, Dept. of Earth, Environmental and Planetary Sciences (USA)
2012 - 2013 Postdoctoral Fellow at University of Rhode Island, Graduate School of Oceanography (USA)
2012 Ph.D. in Oceanography, University of Rhode Island, Graduate School of Oceanography (USA)
- Fan, X., Fox-Kemper, B., Suzuki, N., Li, Q., Marchesiello, P., Auclair, F., Sullivan, P. P., and Hall, P. S.: Comparison of the Coastal and Regional Ocean Community Model (CROCO) and NCAR-LES in Non-hydrostatic Simulations, EGUsphere [preprint], https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-2023-1657, 2023.
- Christiansen, N., Carpenter, J.R., Daewel, U., Suzuki, N., & Schrum, C. (2023): The large-scale impact of anthropogenic mixing by offshore wind turbine foundations in the shallow North Sea. Front. Mar. Sci., 10:1178330, doi:10.3389/fmars.2023.1178330
- Calil, P. H. R., N. Suzuki, B. Baschek, and I. C. A. da Silveira, 2021: Filaments, Fronts and Eddies in the Cabo Frio Coastal Upwelling System, Brazil. Fluids, 6, no. 2: 54.
- Carpenter, J. R., A. Rodrigues, L. K. P. Schultze, L. M. Merckelbach, N. Suzuki, B. Baschek, and L. Umlauf, 2020: Shear instability and turbulence within a submesoscale front following a storm. Geophysical Research Letters, 47, e2020GL090365.
- Suzuki, N., 2019: On the physical mechanisms of the two-way coupling between a surface wave field and a circulation consisting of a roll and streak. J. Fluid. Mech., 881, 906-950. doi:10.1017/jfm.2019.752.
- Ardhuin, F., N. Suzuki, J. C. McWilliams, and H. Aiki, 2017: Comments on “A Combined Derivation of the Integrated and Vertically Resolved, Coupled Wave–Current Equations”. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 47, 2377–2385.
- Suzuki, N., and B. Fox-Kemper, 2016: Understanding Stokes forces in the wave-averaged equations. J. Geophys. Res., 121, 3579–3596.
- Suzuki, N., B. Fox-Kemper, P. E. Hamlington, and L. P. Van Roekel, 2016: Surface waves affect frontogenesis. J. Geophys. Res., 121, 3597–3624.
- Suzuki, N., T. Hara, and P. P. Sullivan, 2014: Impact of dominant breaking waves on air-sea momentum exchange and boundary layer turbulence at high winds. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 44, 1195–1212.
- Suzuki, N., T. Hara, and P. P. Sullivan, 2013: Impact of breaking wave form drag on near-surface turbulence and drag coefficient over young seas at high winds. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 43, 324–343.
- Suzuki, N., T. Hara, and P. P. Sullivan, 2011: Turbulent airflow at young sea states with frequent wave breaking events: large-eddy simulation. J. Atmos. Sci., 68, 1290–1305.