Work & Family Life
Balancing your work and private life can sometimes be a real challenge. In this, we support our employees by having personnel policies with a focus on families and life phases and we provide a wide range of offers to ease the burden:
The Helmholtz Centre Geesthacht has been recognised for ensuring that work and family life remain compatible since 2008.
- Part-time Models and Flexible Working Hours
- Mobile Work
- Our Geesthacht Nursery
- Parent-child-room Teltow
- Childcare Facilities
- Other Childcare Services
- Advice on Educational Issues
- Elderly Care Advice and Placement
- Dual Career - Service
- Life Situations - Coaching
Part-time Models and Flexible Working Hours
We offer our employees a high degree of flexibility so that they can organise their working hours in line with their needs. This means that our employees can determine their own working hours within a generous framework and without core working hours. We also offer various part-time models.
Photo: iStock/Marko Skrbic
As a modern instrument for making the spatial organisation of work more flexible, we offer our employees the chance to perform part of their work on the go, meaning they are not tied to a specific location.
This way, we want to create a working environment for our employees that is both task- and results-orientated and allows for an even better work-life balance.
Our Geesthacht Nursery
Welcome to “Einsteinchen CompanyKids”!
“Einsteinchen” offers a total of 40 places for the children of our Hereon employees:
One elementary group is made up of 20 children between the ages of three and six years, while two crèche groups are made up of ten children each between the ages of eight weeks and three years.
Our nursery attaches particular importance to
- the educational guidelines set out by the state of Schleswig-Holstein
- the educational work in early childhood development
- arranging educational processes, e. g.: exploring natural sciences and experimenting with the “Little Scientists’ House” as part of holistic pre-school work
- language development, e. g., literacy, ToyTalk, early English
- social learning and emotional development
- physical education
- creativity and early musical education
- observation and documentation
- a healthy, balanced diet
Please find more reading material here:
If you are interested in a place for your child at the nursery, please send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Your contact persons
Parent-child room Teltow
Photo: privat Hereon staff member
Our parent-child-room at the Teltow site offers employees at the Institute of Active Polymers in Teltow the option of self-organised childcare to bridge periods in which their regular childcare is temporarily unavailable.
Provision of Childcare Services
Our service provider offers employees the following agency-independent consulting and placement services free of charge:
- individual information and advice on different childcare models
- consultation and arranging of places at private and public schools
Other Childcare Services
Short-term Childcare Options
In emergencies, i. e. if their regular childcare setting is unexpectedly unavailable, our employees are able to take advantage of up to 20 so-called back-up days at the company nursery “Einsteinchen CompanyKids”, which is located close to the company.
Children’s Holiday Camp
During the summer holidays our umbrella organisation, the Helmholtz Association, organises a holiday camp for the children of employees of the Helmholtz Centres.
When childcare is required due to school holidays, our employees can take advantage of up to 20 so-called childcare back-up days for children up to 12 years of age.
Advice on Educational Issues
certificate audit berufundfamilie
With a team of social educators, educators, and parent advisers, our service provider offers individual advice for employees on both organisational and educational issues.
This service is free of charge for our employees.
Elderly Care Advice and Placement
In cooperation with our service provider, we offer our employees comprehensive support in all aspects of family care by providing free advice.
With the help of supporting measures, the care of the person in need can be adapted in order to reduce the burden on relatives.
Dual Career - Service
The Hereon offers top scientists and other highly qualified employees a dual career service for life partners in the course of personnel recruitment. The service can be used, for example, in the context of appointment negotiations. The costs for external services are usually borne by the employees.
In addition, we have the most important information for all employees in the Welcome Office so that life partners of new employees from abroad can get a professional foothold.
Head of the group Personnel Development
Phone: Tel: +49 (0)4152 87-1651
Dual Career Network Hamburg + der Norden
We are part of the “Dual Career Network Hamburg + der Norden” (Hamburg + the North), whose aim is to support scientific, cultural, and economic institutions in their efforts to attract top executives for the Hamburg metropolitan region and the north of Germany:
Life Situations – Coaching
Our service provider is available to provide advice to Hereon employees free of charge and around the clock (24-hour hotline).
- results-orientated advice and coaching in dealing with professional and private issues such as mental health, conflicts at work, domestic crises, educational issues, or financial hardship
- anonymous 24-hour hotline (also at night and on weekends) and immediate psychological help in acute crisis situations
- support provided by special teams of experts in matters of conflicts at work and support following extreme incidents at the workplace
- conflict resolution for issues at work