Scientist/PostDoc in Climate Change and Ocean Modelling
|Beginn der Ausschreibung||26.08.2022|
|Ende der Ausschreibung||10.10.2022|
|Institut bzw. Bereich||Institut für Küstensysteme - Analyse und Modellierung|
|Jetzt bewerben||Zum Bewerberportal|
|Bewerbermanagement||Frau Erika Krüger|
The Institute of Coastal Systems Analysis and Modelling at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon hosts a number of highly motivated and experienced researchers in the broad field of coastal research. Our research focus lies on numerical modelling of coastal processes and interactions between different environmental compartments on regional and coastal scales. At Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon, we develop numerical models with the aim to determine the past and current state of the environment and to identify the major drivers for future changes in the system.
We welcome applications for a Scientist position in the frame of the project Coastal Futures - Scenarios to Promote Sustainable Futures of Contested Marine Areas thatforms part of the German DAM Research MISSION "Protection and Sustainable Use of Marine Spaces". The project develops, simulates, and explores future human use scenarios and triggered impacts in the North and Baltic Sea and their estuaries, and explores existing protection measures and new management options together with stakeholders from maritime management and industry. Coastal Futures concentrates on climate impacts and anticipated man-made pressures at basin scales from four management sectors: (1) offshore renewable energy production, (2) fisheries, (3) nature-based coastal protection measures and (4) eutrophication originating from terrestrial sources.
The appointment is initially limited to 3 years and may be extended. The position can be filled part-time in principle.
Equality of opportunity is an important part of our personnel policy. We would therefore strongly encourage qualified women to apply for the position.
- further implementation and validation of a flexible coupled (ocean, atmosphere, biogeochemistry, waves) modelling framework for the North Sea and the Baltic Sea
- perform and analyze coupled climate change and human used scenario simulations, and assess uncertainties
- assess the potential predictability of key variables relevant for selected management sectors
- work as an integrative part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and with external partners
- write scientific publications in peer reviewed journals
- presentation of results at meetings and international conferences
- a degree (preferable PhD) in physical oceanography, geosciences, environmental sciences or related disciplines
- modelling experience is desirable
- experience in scientific programming with FORTRAN and related analysing programming languages (e.g. MATLAB, R or Python) would be an advantage
- good knowledge of English (written and oral)
- good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of various fields of geosciences
We offer you
- multinational work environment with ca. 1,100 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
- free employee advice - Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- childcare offers
- Welcome Office, guest accommodation
- canteen at the Geesthacht location
Geesthacht is located 35 km southeast of Hamburg in Northern Germany. Its location combines proximity to Germany’s second largest city and its cultural offerings with easy access to numerous outdoor activities in a beautiful setting. We are a family-friendly employer and operate our own kindergarten on campus.
Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (cover letter, CV, transcripts, certificates etc.) indicating the reference number code no. 2022/KS 6 until October 10th, 2022.